Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Reverend, what does it mean?


   
I’ve heard it said over the years that we should NOT address our pastors or preachers as Reverend!!! 


And I had no understanding of why this was said.


I had always heard this word used as a title.  For example, The Reverend and Mrs. Clayfield.  You know, a title that you would use to respectfully address someone, but denoting his or her profession.  Such as, Doctor and Mrs. Fairchild or Nurse Mulligan.  Or as happens nowadays, Dr. & Dr. Morgan. 


To be respectful, we often say Mr. Smith, or Mrs. Jones, or even, Miss Lovingston.  And in some circles, respect is given by saying, Minister (Min.) Parsons, or Bro. Wellsley, or Sis. Brockmore, or even Sis. Kathy.


Even so, some say the word, “Reverend” should ONLY be used when speaking of GOD HIMSELF!!! 


This morning I was reading in my NKJV, and when I read this same verse in my King James, I saw that the writers of the NKJV had replaced the word, “REVEREND” in the King James, with the word, “AWESOME” in the New King James.

Psalm 111:9 (KJV) He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name.


Psalm 111:9 (NKJV) He has sent redemption to His people;
He has commanded His covenant forever:  Holy and awesome is His name.


When I read this scripture in the KJV, and I saw the word, “reverend,” it brought this age old question to my mind!!!  And since I had no idea exactly what “reverend” meant other than a title, I realized that I needed to look it up and find out for myself what it means.


When I tried looking up, “reverend” on my phone, I found several articles, but one article in particular caught my attention.  Among the many articles that had been written on this very subject, I found an article by Cooper P, Abrams, III – Bible-truth.org (sited as it appears at the end of the article noted.)  This article is entitled, Why I Do Not Use the Title “Reverend”


In this article, Mr. Abrams (he did NOT show a title) quotes the Webster’s 1828 Dictionary as saying that the word, “REVEREND” means, “worthy of reverence; entitled to respect mingled with fear and affection…”


So, with this meaning in mind, we can see why there are folks who object to pastors and ministers being called Reverend or this title being used at all when speaking to a person!!!


And I totally understand!!! 


I have met many truly inspiring men and women of GOD!!!  But I know of none that I would say were “worthy of reverence; entitled to respect mingled with fear and affection…”.


As I was writing this post, THE LORD reminded me that we are to fear no man. 


Matthew 10:28 (KJV) And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.


Respect, yes!  We give respect where respect is due and even sometimes when it is NOT due!!!  But FEAR, no!!!  We fear no one, but GOD!!!


I agree with Mr. Abrams and all those others who have said over the years that the word, “REVEREND” should only be used in reference and in reverence to GOD!!!  


Mr. Abrams explained in his article that the Hebrew root word for “reverend” means “to be revered” (among other things.) 


So, here I take my stand!!! 


ONLY GOD should be revered or held in such high esteem that HE and ONLY HE should ever be “put on a pedestal” (one of the phrases used to explain the word, “revered,” when I looked it up on Google.)     


ONLY GOD should be referred to as REVEREND!!!  Because I now truly understand what the word, “REVEREND” means, I will no longer use the title Reverend or Rev.  Instead I will use the title, Minister, if needed.  But in truth, I prefer just plain Sis. Kathy.     

As for anyone else, you will have to decide for yourself!!!


I think the Amplified Classic Edition says it best!!!


Psalm 111:9 (AMPC) He has sent redemption to His people; He has commanded His covenant to be forever; holy is His name, inspiring awe, reverence, and godly fear.


No comments: