Friday, July 22, 2016

The Word, “Yoke” in The Bible



What does the word, “yoke” mean?


I started my search by looking up this word.


And here is some of what I found on Dictionary.com.  http://www.dictionary.com/browse/yoked   


”Yoke”

noun (pl) yokes, yoke


    1.   a wooden frame, usually consisting of a crosspiece with two
         bow-shaped  pieces, for attaching to the necks of a pair of
         draft animals, especially oxen, so that they can be worked
         as a team


    2.  a pair of draft animals fastened together
         by
a yoke: five yoke of oxen.

   
    3
.  something resembling a yoke in form or
         function, such as a frame fitting over a
         person's shoulders for carrying buckets,
         one on each end

    4.  something that ties or binds together; a bond or tie.



verb (used with object), yoked, yoking.


    1.  to
put a yoke on; join or couple by means of a yoke.


    2.  to
attach (a draft animal) to a plow or vehicle:  to yoke oxen.


    3.  to
harness a draft animal to (a plow or vehicle):  to yoke a wagon.


    4.  to
join, couple, link, or unite.


    5.  to
be or become joined, linked, or united.



When I did a search for the word, “yoke” in the Bible, I found information on a site called, ChristianAnswers.net.  You can go to this site by clicking on the following link.   http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/yoke.html


This site featured the WebBible Encyclopedia, and that is where I found the following information.


YOKE -

   1.  Fitted on the neck of oxen for the purpose of binding to them the
       traces by which they might draw the plough, etc. (Num. 19:2;
       Deut. 21:3).  It was a curved piece of wood called 'ol.

   2.  In Jer. 27:2; 28:10, 12 the word in the Authorized Version
        rendered “yoke” is motah, which properly means a “staff,” or as
        in the Revised Version, “bar.” These words in the Hebrew are
        both used figuratively of severe bondage, or affliction, or
        subjection (Lev. 26:13; 1 Kings 12:4; Is. 47:6; Lam. 1:14;
        Lam. 3:27). In the New Testament, the word “yoke” is also
        used to denote servitude (Matt. 11:29, 30; Acts 15:10;
        Gal. 5:1).

    3.  In 1 Sam. 11:7, 1 Kings 19:21, Job 1:3 the
         word thus translated is tzemed, which
         signifies a pair, two oxen yoked or coupled
         together, and hence in 1 Sam. 14:14 it
         represents as much land as a yoke of oxen
         could plough in a day, like the Latin jugum.
         In Isa. 5:10 this word in the plural is
         translated “acres.”


I looked up these scripture references, and found some really good scriptures!!!  However, ONLY some of these scriptures fit what we are talking about!!!


You see, there are all kinds of people who come to Jesus!!! 


Many times, people will tell you that they found GOD at just the right time, but the truth is that GOD was there watching and waiting all the time!!! 


They didn’t find GOD!!!  No one finds THE LORD!!!


Truthfully, this is what happens!!! 


We run and run until we are exhausted!!!  Sometimes, we don’t even know that we are running from GOD because we have been taught that everyone is supposed to just do their own thing!!! 


Finally, we reach the end of our rope and find that we have messed our lives up!!!  When we find that we are in a world of trouble, and we can’t get out of it by ourselves, we come to the realization that we desperately need for GOD to intervene!!!


So, GOD steps in and HE saves us from ourselves and HE gets us out of our mess!!! 


This isn’t the way that everyone gets saved, but it is pretty true for most people!!! 


And yes, I know that there are some folks who have lived for Jesus most of their lives, and I applaud them!!!  I think that is wonderful!!!


But then there are some folks like me that really needed saving!!!  They were on “The Highway to Hell.”  I can guarantee you that that is where I was headed!!!  And I knew better!!!!


Many ears ago, after I got saved and began living for THE LORD, I ran into a girl that I had known back in the day!!!  She had hung out at the same bars!!!  When she found out that I had gotten saved, she said, “Kathy, if GOD can save you, HE can save anybody!!!”  And she was absolutely right!!!


I thank GOD that HE stepped into my life and saved me when HE did!!!  If HE hadn’t, I truly don’t think I wouldn’t be alive today!!!


You see, I had yoked myself to a lot of things, and I couldn’t get loose!!!!  NOT by myself!!! 


But I found that when GOD saves us, HE SETS US FREE!!!  And HE tells us NOT to go back into sin!!! 


Galatians 5:1 (KJV) Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.


Christ tells us that HIS YOKE IS EASY AND HIS BURDENS ARE LIGHT!!! 


Matthew 11:28-30 (AMP)

28 
“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavily burdened [by religious rituals that provide no peace], and I will give you rest [refreshing your souls with salvation].

29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me [following Me as My disciple], for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest (renewal, blessed quiet) for your souls.

30 For My yoke is easy [to bear] and My burden is light.”



We must realize one thing!!!  When we become one of GOD’s kids, we give our lives over to HIM!!!  It is then that GOD wants us to begin giving HIM all our burdens!!!  And HE wants us to continue giving them to HIM every day!!!


Truthfully, everyone goes through trials and tribulations.  If you are living and breathing, then you are going to have problems!!!  NO matter what!!!  Rich or poor, male or female, no matter what color you are, no matter where you live (in the city or in the country), you will always have problems and you will always face trials and tribulations!!! 


But let me tell you, when GOD is with you, those trials are so much easier than facing them by yourself!!!


When you have GOD on your side, you have someone to fight your battles for you!!!  The Bible says if GOD is for us, who can be against us?  Christ has made us more than conquerors!!! 


Exodus 14:14 (KJV) The Lord shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace.



2 Chronicles 20:17 (KJV) Ye shall not need to fight in this battle: set yourselves, stand ye still, and see the salvation of the Lord with you, O Judah and Jerusalem: fear not, nor be dismayed; to morrow go out against them: for the Lord will be with you.



Romans 8:31, 37 (KJV)

31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

37
Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

No comments: