Friday, September 30, 2011

Jabez’s FAITH-FILLED Prayer


Why are we so amazed at the prayer that Jabez prayed?  Aren’t we really more amazed that God was pleased that Jabez wanted more from HIM and that GOD gave Jabez ALL that he asked?
 

1 Chronicles 4:9-10 (KJV) 9And Jabez was more honourable than his brethren: and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, Because I bare him with sorrow.

10
And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested.

Jabez was more honorable than his brothers because he sought the Lord God Almighty and he depended on God for help.  God always honors and looks favorably on those who seek him!!!

His name means sorrow maker and he was named this by his mother because of the pain she had in childbirth.  Despite being given a horrible name by his mother, Jabez rose above his name and overcame all the odds.  He became a man pleasing in God’s sight, a man more honorable than ALL his brothers. 


1 Chronicles 4: 10 (AMP) Jabez cried to the God of Israel, saying, Oh, that You would bless me and enlarge my border, and that Your hand might be with me, and You would keep me from evil so it might not hurt me! And God granted his request.

When Jabez prayed and asked God to enlarge his border, he was NOT only asking God to give him more land and territories, but he was also seeking God for more responsibility. 

Luke 12:48 (KJV) says, …For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more. 


The CEV says it this way.  … If God has been generous with you, he will expect you to serve him well. But if he has been more than generous, he will expect you to serve him even better. Luke 12:48


Jabez must have taken a lot of time to think over what he was going to pray because his very prayer shows how very wise he was.  He prayed that God’s hand would be with him. 


Evidently, he knew what a lot of people today fail to realize.  When God increases you, a lot of folks become jealous of you.  They despise you and become your enemies. 


Lastly, Jabez wisely prayed that God would protect him
from evil so it might not hurt me!  I am sure that when he prayed he included his entire household and ALL the belonged to HIM!!!!


Jabez didn’t have the Bible.  He couldn’t just pick it up and read Psalm 91:9-10 (KJV) 9Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; 10There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.


The last line of verse 10 says, And God granted him that which he requested.  Just from reading this line, I know that Jabez was indeed a great man of FAITH.  




Why do I say this? 

Because Mark 11:24 (KJV) says, …What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

No comments: